Friday, 13 May 2016

HAND IN

So, this week has beeline of the most stressful weeks in my life, being ill and trying to finish two garments. Sadly, I don't think I will be done by the time Kait comes in today. It's still 9am, so I'm going to try and finish the lining on the jacket, and the hem on the dress.

I'm pretty proud thought, to have done as much as I've done considering I cut out on Tuesday and starting sewing on Tuesday evening. (hand in - Friday 13.may) So, yeah, I've managed to speed through it pretty quickly. I had a little meltdown yesterday, not even starting my jacket until midday yesterday. Thankfully, Abbie and Ellie came in and helped me with it. So most of it is done.












Tuesday, 10 May 2016

Tuesday - week 9

So, today has been an absolute shit day, to put it nicely. I've spent most of the day trying to cu tour both my garments. The leather jacket, Ellie and I struggled for hours trying to fit on the skin. We had to add some suede panels because we didn't have enough of the foil leather. After adding the suede, we still didn't have enough, so we had to cut the sleeves in half and have them as panels.

I apologise for not having any photos to this post, I took loads of pictures throughout the day, but when I came home I realised by phone is broken, and it's literally not saving or deleting any photos.
The other problem that came up is that the leather is "cracking?" It's really fragile around the edges, and starting to tear slightly, so I need to back it.

Everything is going horribly slow, hand in is on Friday, and I'm slightly panicking now... Hopefully, I'll sort out my phone so I can upload some photos.

UPDATE: I've managed to restore all the lost photos.










Monday, 9 May 2016

WEEK 9

Hello! even though it's Monday, I've felt like I'm non stop working. I thought I would already have cut out in my final fabric by Friday, but some of the amendments has taken me some time, also today I also toiled the jacket with lining, just to make sure everything works, so I don't mess up when I'm actually sewing on leather... And we had some issues sorting out if we wanted a half lining, how to finish the edges and so on. So eventually, we ended up doing a lining in the whole jacket except the peplum, and also leaving the edges raw and painting them.

I also planned to cut out all my pattern pieces today, but the situation didn't really allow that. The fabric I initially wanted to use for my shirt dress, I realised the stripes went horizontally instead of vertically. And with my pattern pieces being so long, I couldn't lay them the other way. I wanted to use another fabric, but by that time everyone had left and I couldn't access the cupboard.

So hopefully everything will go more smoothly tomorrow. The other thing that slowed me down as well, is the lack on organisation on my side. Keeping all my pattern pieces organised and planning the day. And the fact that I'm still ill is affecting my normal work ethic...

On the bright side, Ellie and I has decided to work on the leather jacket together. Hopefully this will make it easier, and give us both experience on the leather machines.






Sunday, 8 May 2016

Final toiles

So this week has just been about pushing my toilet out. Sadly, I've been not feeling to well this week, struggling with severe hay fever and an actual fever, but luckily I had a sewing machine at home, so I cut everything out at uni and made it all at home.

I made a new toilet of the shirt dress. Is was pretty much OK'd, I just had to take in a centimeter around the arms. And with the jacket (that I will add a photo of later), it's pretty much done, just needed to do the patterns for the lining and some amendments.

But yes, I went in on Saturday in the studio, did all the pattern changes, and hopefully ready to cut on Monday.






Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Toile review, leather jacket amendments

So on Tuesday, we had a look at the toile for the leather jacket. Not much too me done, just have to do some amendments and also make a pattern for the facing, lining and attach the zip to see the fit. Also had a problem with the sleeves so I unpinned one, and redid one of them.

Most of the day consisted of redoing some patterns, for both the leather jacket and shirt dress, because I didn't have calico. However, I've ordered some today, hopefully I'll have everything ready for Friday, so i can start cutting out and doing the finale make.

Less than two weeks till hand-in, I think I will be struggling a little bit, but hopefully get everything done. Don't really have much of a choice, but it's because of our slow progress that we're so behind at this point. We're not in the studio today, but hopefully if I get to cut everything out, I can sew the toiles at home.